Here are some guidelines regarding your pet’s surgical booking.
- They can be fed the night before surgery however all food should be withheld overnight (i.e remove access to food from 10:00 pm the night before surgery).
- Water is fine to leave out overnight, but please remove access to the water bowl when you “get up” in the morning.
- Unless otherwise advised, please bring your pet to the clinic for their hospital admission on the morning of their surgery between 7:30 am and 9:00 am.
- Please allow up to 15 minutes for the admission process.
- Please advise us of any current medication.
- If your pet is on a ‘prescription veterinary diet’ if possible please bring one meal with you.
- Indicate whether you wish to be contacted by text or phone. It is important that we can contact you whilst your pet is in our care – please ensure your contact details are correct and that you are able to reply to us promptly.
- For your pet’s safety, we require ALL Dogs to be on a lead and ALL cats to be securely contained in a cage.
- It is important if your dog is having a surgical procedure that they present to the clinic clean and dry.
- A reminder dogs can not be bathed or swim for 10 – 14 days post-surgery if they have sutures.
- Discharge time is generally from 4:00 pm until 6:00 pm – due to emergencies, there may be delays in the treatment of “non-urgent” cases therefore, please contact us to ensure that your pet is ready to go home. Exceptions are major surgeries where we routinely overnight our patients post-surgery. You will be advised at admission time whether your pet will need to stay overnight.
- If you choose to leave leads and blankets, please be aware that if they are soiled, they will be laundered and therefore, may be hard to locate amongst all other bedding / leads.
We look forward to seeing you and your pet soon, and if you have any further questions or need to discuss in-depth, please contact the clinic on 067584006.
Thanks, the team at New Plymouth Vet Group.